Today we did what all reasonable vacationers eventually do: Nothing.

It all started with sleeping in.  Normally Warren is booting us out of bed to go look for an egg (that’s breakfast) but this morning SOMEONE slept in.  And when I did wake him up, he would not get out of bed… he was tired.  Huh.  So we decided that it must be a ‘take it easy’ day.

We eventually got up and got out for breakfast (ok it was noon) and then we drove around looking at real estate – should we buy a vacation home in Yuma?  This is yet to be determined but it was fun looking around.  This only took an hour or so and then? Nothing happened.

We went and bought me a bathing suit (who goes on vacation without their bathing suit? Me) and then went back to the hotel and took up residence poolside.  Warren sat in the sun absorbing life affirming rays.  I slid into the pool – which felt freezing after the hot Yuma sun – and floated around for a while.

It was perfect.

There is a stand of trees that form a windbreak beside the pool and the trees were home to a colony of grackles and a whole bunch of mourning doves.  We saw fancy tail grackles, some eurasian collared mourning doves, some plain old mourning doves, a couple of hummingbirds and some yellow bird that we have yet to identify. Don’t mention it to Warren, but I am turning him into a bird nerd.  I swam lazy laps of the  pool using my best doggie paddle, listening to the birds and enjoying the afternoon.  There is an air force base in Yuma and quite often we’d see the apache helicopters, hornets, or Harriers taking off for maneuvers. It is fascinating to see them flying in formation and practicing rolls and fancy flying.

Eventually I crawled out of the water and flopped on the deck (isn’t that what every 54 year old woman does?) and Warren and I talked about this and that and nothing.  I’m telling you, this is the best way to spend a day.

After another brief swim, we went inside to get ready for supper. I showered, Warren napped.

And guess what?  Tomorrow we’re doing this again  🙂  in about 2 days we’ll be starting the long (and I hope very slow) trek northwards… it’s time to start heading home.  So we’re spending our whole day tomorrow roasting in the sun.  I wonder if we can absorb enough heat with our bodies to carry it all the way back ’till summer comes to Alberta?

We’re totally going to try.

Stay tuned tomorrow to see how our sunburns turn out  🙂



Published by

Sandy Kenyon

It has been a chaotic and heartbreaking year. But I'm climbing back out of this chaos, bent on carving a new path using all the things I have learned. Stay tuned for new stories :) I hope you enjoy what you read!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s